Thursday, January 22, 2009

New Year's Resolution

This year I am "DOING", and I am keeping track. So, here I am!

Last year's resolution was to embrace limits. In the fall of 2007, I closed my office and started working from home...so all the things I needed in my "Work Office" came home to to live in my "Home Office". It was the first time I really saw the limits of space & time . I purged my hords of magazines, and loose paper, college text books & binders, all sort of stuff I had been hanging onto and collecting for years!

Once I felt organized and productive, a dear friend needed a hand transitioning her life. We packed up her life into 2 10x10 storage "PODS" for the move halfway across the country...all her left over old "stuff" became my new "stuff". Wow... I was paralyzed by "stuff" again.

With all sorts of new cool paper craft supplies generously gifted to me by my DF and one of her DFs, I didn't know what to do or where to begin.

Another DF hearing my situation revealed she struggled with her own horded sewing and painting supplies. She suggested we start meeting once a month to work on finishing projects that we had started. The only rule...no buying new stuff!!! This really caught on and we have invited others to join us & share, borrow, create with the stuff we already have.

This was the inspiration for my big breakthrough resolution. I found that the limits really freed my creativity. I didn't worry or stress out. I learned how to work with a new medium...paper, glue sticks, stickers, rub ons, rubber stamps, ink and so much more...wow!!! My dear granny and friends that live far away all get one of a kind cards in the mail on a regular basis.

Limits no longer were my nemisis but my strongest alli! So I started limiting my eating, shopping, spending. Recycling and Freecycling joined into my new lifestyle. Soon after that, I no longer had a steady income, so anything that wasn't an absolute necessity was not purchased. I borrowed, traded, or did without. If there was a free way to get what I needed I managed to find it.

I discovered "the Compact" a kookie, frugal, post hippy user group that urges its members to live my lifestyle! I am living "Compact" and I am crafting "Compact" and now I am keeping track of what I have done within my limits.

My latest discovery is the Sketch Blog Mojo Monday...this is why I had to start blogging...so I can link-up! Hello Mr. Linky!!!

Let's see where this road will take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment